Quaker Cemetery

The first Quaker, or Friends, Burial Ground occupied one acre near the south end of Maxcey’s Pond and was used for interments from about 1711 until 1760. A second burial site, located at Quaker and Madaket roads, was added in 1730. There are very few markers to account for the thousands of Quakers buried in the two cemeteries. Quakers disapproved of the use of headstones, considering them idolatrous (graves were most likely set off by unmarked fieldstones), although nineteenth-century sects, such as the Gurneyites and Hicksites, did use gravestones. The unstoned field has inspired at least one poem, Robert Lowell’s “Quaker Graveyard in Nantucket.”

View the Maps of the Quaker Burial Ground