Newtown Cemetery

The term “Newtown” was first used at a town meeting held on March 8, 1727/8 probably referring to the newly developed area south of the Town of Nantucket. The small burial ground is located on the south side of Sparks Avenue. It is also called “Old South Cemetery.” The cemetery dates from at least 1775, the earliest date inscribed on an existing stone.

There are 527 markers in Newtown Cemetery, as of summer 2006.

View the Maps of markers in the Newtown Cemetery